I asked some of my runner friends what they consider before booking a race, here are their helpful tips before you commit! I will aim to cover topics on upcoming posts.
- Length/Distance of race – have I trained enough for the distance?
- Date/time of race – I’ve booked a Spring half marathon, will I be able to train through the winter? Have I left enough time to get to a 9am start time in Bath?
- What other races am I committed to? – Can I run a full marathon only 4 weeks after a Half?
- Accommodation near the event – What’s the best for budget and locality to event?
- Elevations In the route – Am I prepared for the hills on this route!
- What do I need to take with me – Have I packed all the essential items, what can I ditch?
- Nutrition/hydration before the event – Have I carb loaded prior to the race and drunk enough water? Whats too much?
- Training plans – Where can I find training plans for my upcoming races.
- Aftercare – Foam roller hell? Sports Massage?
- Cost of event – Whats my budget and is it worth spending the extra on ‘special’ races?
- Travel issues/ train strikes – Commuting hell!
- Local events to support – Do I want to support local events or travel around the country/Europe or more!
- Trails/hills running – Is trail running more interesting or stick to pavement pounding
- Can I commit? Can someone look after the kids? Dog? Partner? Shift work an issue or taking leave for the event? Can I take the time to train properly.